Tina and I used to tell each other "I love you" so often that people who spent too much time around us might have been at risk for diabetes. Over time, we developed our own secret shorthand for it. I believe it began with Tina saying "pssst" to get my attention and when I responded, she just whispered "I love you." She did this often, randomly, when we were walking hand-in hand, riding in my van, or just sitting on the futon. I was always delighted to hear it and said it back. Over time, I would also get her attention with "psst" and we both knew what would follow, so we'd try to beat each other to saying it and eventually, "pssst" evolved to be all that needed saying. She'd just say "pssst" and I'd "pssssssst" back (with the extra esses for emphasis).
The problem with adopting something so common as code for our love was that after it was all over, reminders were everywhere. "Pssst" is used pretty damn often in our culture. Oops.
Read the rest of this story at the new Adventures of Dan and Tina.
No comments:
Post a Comment