Sunday, November 18, 2018

Places I'm not welcome

Amber was going away for a weekend to participate in the nuptials of her roommates and Tina was tapped to stay at the house and look after her pets. I recalled some discussion of this ahead of time and had a fuzzy memory of Amber had telling me I could hang out over there to keep Tina company. When the time came for her to go, however, Tina said to me, "You know you can't come over, right?"

With everything we had going on at the time, I figured Tina could use some time to herself, but being told that I wasn't welcome came as a slap in the face. I was fairly confident in my recollection of being told earlier that I was welcome. Tina's assertion caused doubt, which is exactly what gaslighting is all about. "OK, that's fine, but why?" I asked.

"Because Kevin and Karen don't know you," Tina said. "They don't want strangers in their house."

They didn't know me well, but I'd met the betrothed couple a few times and I got along well with them. I couldn't imagine a scenario when any of my friends would ask me to house-sit and tell me that my fiance wasn't welcome or couldn't be trusted at their home (not even Tina). I was stunned.

Read the rest at the new Adventures of Dan and Tina.

No comments:

Post a Comment